DIFFICULT TO TREAT PAIN AND INJURY
Difficult to Treat Pain & Injury Program
Many people have, or know someone who has, a pain or movement problem that just doesn’t seem to get better. They may have seen more than one doctor, had special tests, been on medications, had injections and may even have had the body part immobilized for a period (such as a sling, brace or walking boot). They may also have had care from other professionals (chiropractor, massage, acupuncture and Physical Therapy). But the problem persists!
Even if you have not had success with other treatments this program is for you.
At South Aiken Physical Therapy we do things a little different from most. We set aside 1 hour for your initial visit and will take the time to listen to you, to fully understand your problem and then will do a detailed examination to find not just what the obvious problem is, but what might be the root cause in the first place and also what secondary problems might have developed that continue to interfere with the recovery process.
Some common examples;
- A person with foot pain from plantar fasciitis has injections but the pain returns and so is put in a boot for a month but the pain returns and so is put back in the boot again, this time for 2 months, but the pain returns. Firstly, none of this addresses the big question – “Why did I get pain in the first place?” and so the underlying cause can still be present. Secondly, by now the musculature of the hip and leg are so weak that regular standing and walking is putting increased stress than ever before – and so the pain returns.
- Then there is the case of the person with low back pain that started after a motor vehicle accident. The MRI and xrays look good, they’ve had extensive medications and rest but their back still hurts. One reason is perhaps this person has very poor postural habits and when they bend down they use poor mechanics. When they were healthy this was not a big deal, but now that they have had a trauma these poor habits that do increase strain on the lower back are interfering with the recovery process.
These are the sorts of things that a quality clinic will identify and address.
If your problem were an easy fix it would be better by now, right? Our very experienced Physical Therapists will apply that knowledge to each and every visit to work towards your goals and we will provide you with the tools to manage that recovery when you are away from the cli
Benefits of Our Program:
- Avoid lingering side effects of injury.
- Reduce the risk of re-injury.
- Faster recovery period.
- Regain confidence and strength.
- Sleep better.
- Restore maximum range of motion and pain free movement.
- Improve overall function in daily activity quickly and safely.
- Drug-free treatment for control of pain.
- Learn how to avoid future problem
How long before benefits are realized?
Sometimes these “hard to treat” problems just need the correct change in your activity or behavior and so can respond immediately within the first 2 weeks.
Undoing old bad habits and learned compensations can take 2-4 weeks. Once this is achieved, you should start to see moderate improvement.
The more chronic and severe the condition, the longer it takes to respond as sometimes the affected tissue needs to “remodel”. This is a slow process but the good news is that you can influence this with the correct exercises and activity management
Be Wary Of:
- Clinics where the Therapist can “squeeze you in” – they will not have the time to correctly identify the root cause or to give you the time a hard to treat problem demands.
- Therapists that just treat the injury without fully examining you for factors contributing to the injury.
- Therapists that work with multiple patients at once and leave you unattended for extended periods of time to exercise on your own. You need an attentive Therapist to be constantly re-assessing you, solving your problem and to pick out incorrect movement patterns and rectify them.
- “Passive Treatments” using just modalities like electric stimulation, ultrasound, hot/cold packs… While these are beneficial for short-term relief, long lasting results come from a much more comprehensive analysis and active approach.
You can be FREE from pain!